Friday, June 7, 2013

Crowstoes Orion

DISCLOSURE: Orion was sent for my honest review by Crowstoes.

Orion, a warm, olive green duochrome, is another one of my favorites! I swatched it both alone and over black. This is four coats of Orion.


You can kinda see the brownish base peeking through. It's very different from the kind of greens I usually wear, and while I'm not really used to it, it's kinda cool.

The color shift is visible without a black base, but it's definitely not as strong as Asterope or Celaeno.

Despite my griping about layering over black, Orion is one color that definitely warrants it IMO. Check it out:


Much better! It's still a warm green, but I feel like Orion looks a lot better without the brownish base peeking through. It looks sort of funky on me. I used 3 coats over black, and the end result was totally worth it. The sun actually bothered coming out the day I swatched this, so I snapped some shots in that lighting too.


And check this out, it's even a little duochrome-y in the sun!


It's a subtle shift, but duochromes usually don't look so great in direct sunlight, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Crowstoes are sold at Llarowe and Shoppe Eclecticco, and Aussie customers can buy them at Femme Fatale Cosmetics. I believe they are also sold on Overall Beauty, but interestingly enough, when I tried to access the page to link in this post, my antivirus marked it as unsafe.

I was trawling through Etsy shops recently, and noticed that Digital Nails and Indigo Bananas have some similar colors. I think Pan and Lowkey are the ones closest to Orion, but they're lighter, and Lowkey has a silvery cast that Orion lacks. Pan is about as duochrome as Orion on its own but has a greyish base, unlike Orion's brownish base.

DISCLOSURE: Orion was sent for my honest review by Crowstoes.

Have you tried Orion? Thoughts?

Thanks for looking and commenting, and have a great weekend!!