Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Deborah Lippmann Wicked Game

Alright. You ready for another sheer disappointment??? No? Oh well, neither was I.

Deborah Lippmann Wicked Game was released in Winter 2009, along with Happy Birthday, if I recall correctly. It's a purple/pink-green duochrome in a sheer grey base that you may have seen before, because it's really not all that unique. I think the grey-purple-green thing is probably the most common color combination for duochromes........before we get to swatches, let's drool over the colors in the bottle. It looks so cool!!


Don't trust the bottle. This is 4 coats, in the shade.


Let's pretend that I did a good job cleaning up this manicure, and let's also pretend that there wasn't any VNL after four coats. In sunlight:


I was quite concerned about the brushstrokes I saw while the polish was wet, but they pretty much completely disappear once dried. You can see the green at the sides there. Here are some awkward angled shots in the shade, so you can see the shift:



It's not that bad. The shift is pretty cool, I just think for $16, the opacity should be much much better. Mind you, the application was good and I didn't have to deal with an obnoxiously long dry time.

I think the part that bugs me the most is the fact that there's a $2 dupe for this $16 polish: Wet n Wild Grey's Anatomy, from the Fast Dry line. Luckily, this polish is one that I borrowed from my mother's stash, so it's not actually mine. :P I am just really disappointed because I've got a few Lippmanns of my own, and they set my expectations pretty high. They're fantastic.

I think next time I'll try layering this over a lavender or light grey creme. Hopefully that won't totally kill the color shift.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Rants about high-end polish?

Thanks for looking and commenting, and enjoy the rest of your week!