Friday, August 31, 2012

Revlon Whimsical

Revlon Whimsical was released earlier this year when Revlon revamped their core line. Many of the colors are rereleases, but Whimsical is new. It consists of light pink and light blue hexes, smaller silver hexes, and small blue microglitter in a light blue jelly base. It's quite sheer, so I've layered 2 coats over 2 coats of China Glaze Sea Spray. In the shade:


Totally not my usual kind of color, but I love it! In the sun:


The formula, I will admit, is not great. It's thick, and the big hex glitter tends to slip off the brush, so you have to wipe off the brush and dip it back in a few times until you get the amount of glitter you'd like. And placing the glitter is a bit difficult. Sometimes, when I'd try to move a piece into a spot where there's less glitter, the blue base would glob onto that spot and leave a few thick areas. It's not terrible though. Just not as good as Facets of Fuchsia was.

And we've got another Lippmann sort of-dupe on our hands! This is very similar to Lippmann's Glitter in the Air. There are also Korean versions of this from Tony Moly and Innisfree, called Milky Way and 84, respectively. I'm sure they have their subtle differences, but they're quite similar, for all intents and purposes.

A few months ago, I tried wearing Whimsical on its own, but found that it was more sheer than I had expected, so I layered 3 coats of it over 2 coats of Essie Fill the Gap. This was the result:


You can still see my nail lines pretty clearly...And to be honest I don't like how this looks. It's too stark for my tastes, so I'll definitely stick to layering.

What do you think of all these dupes, considering Glitter in the Air came out first? Safe to say Ms. Lippmann isn't too happy....not that I blame her! I'm just a bit surprised to see her publicly acknowledging and reacting to it.

What about these types of milky glitters? Seems like some love 'em, and some think they look downright gross. Tell me how you really feel!

Thanks for looking and commenting, and have a great weekend!!