Friday, August 10, 2012

Essie Pink a Boo

Essie Pink a Boo was released with this year's Resort collection. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed by the collection. The shimmery magenta one, Sure Shot, is pretty, but not unique and not my style. The lavender one, She's Picture Perfect, has disappearing shimmer, and is light enough that it would look chalky on me. No More Film, the indigo one, is pretty, but since I already have Zoya Pinta, I passed on that.

Oddly enough, I am really liking the sheer, sparkly light pink one. What the heck? It's so sheer that I can't wear it unless my nails are nubs, and even then it needs 4 coats over Essie Fill the Gap. When I posted this on MUA, I got several messages asking how I was able to get it opaque. That's how sheer it is. And yet....I like it? In the shade:


Light, cool-toned pinks generally look terrible on me, but I think the lack of opacity gives it the softness that it needs. That way, it's not as harsh as I was expecting. I do really like the shimmer. It's so prominent!


At an angle, the blue does shift to a bright pink, but I was unable to capture that with my camera. Maybe one day I'll learn to photograph color shifts, LOL.

I didn't have any issues with the formula, but I have heard that light colors tend to streak, so I preemptively let each coat dry completely before adding the next, and application was therefore not difficult at all.

I think Pink a Boo is fairly unique. The closest color I can think of off the top of my head is Chanel Frisson, but that's a great deal more expensive, and also quite different. Frisson has a warmer base color, with golden shimmer. So....not really close, but a similar concept.

Thanks for looking and commenting, and happy Friday!!