Monday, October 17, 2011

Sally Hansen Dorien Grey + Pumpkin polish

Good morning! I don't know about you, but it's 10 AM and I'm still not completely awake, so I'm brewing a second cup of coffee as we speak. In the meantime, I have a fun combination to show you!

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Dorien Grey is from the brand's Fall 2011 collaboration with designer Prabal Gurung. On a (slightly) pedantic side note: this should really be Dorian Grey! It's definitely not spelled with an e. 

Apparently this is very very very similar to Eel Skin, one of the Tracy Reese colors from this spring...interesting. Reviews of Eel Skin are generally very favorable; people raved about the smooth, opaque formula. I'm afraid I can't say the same for Dorien Grey. It was very watery and more prone to streaks than I would like. Honestly, if I didn't love Oscar Wilde's work so much, I probably would have returned this. It is definitely a 3-coater, if not a 4-coater.

Edited to add: The formula of Dorien Grey improves a LOT after a couple of uses. It just needs to thicken up a bit.




I've never worn a light grey, and I'm not really sure how I feel about it on its own. Luckily, when I found Dorien Grey, there was a display of pumpkin polishes right next to it! I saw one with tiny silver hex glitter and larger black hex glitter, figured it'd go well with the grey, and grabbed that too. This is 1 coat of the pumpkin glitter over Dorien Grey:


I think I was right! I got loads of compliments on this mani. Glitter makes everything better. It's a little tricky to get the right amount of black glitter, but I think this one is worth it. Here's a macro shot of my thumbnail:


So freaking cool.