Friday, July 19, 2013

Contrary Polish Desert Fruit + Comparison

Today I've got for you the last of my Contrary Polish stash. Desert Fruit is one that I have worn several times, but just couldn't get decent photographs of until recently. It's a purple, so no surprise there...I'm very surprised to see myself getting excited about a purple, though. That hasn't happened in a while!

Desert Fruit was a stand-alone release from Fall 2012, and not part of any collection. It's a dusty, warm purple with fiery red shimmer, and like my other Contrary Polishes, dries a little satin-y so top coat would be a good idea.


I have to say, Desert Fruit has the best formula out of the Contraries I own. It was solid in 2 coats. And look at that shimmer- it's even clearly visible in the shade! Let's take a look at it in the sun:


That red shimmer is really cool!

Desert Fruit reminds me of Dior Shadow and OPI Peel Me a Gobi Grape, though Shadow looks like it has slightly less shimmer, and Peel Me a Gobi Grape has roughly the same amount of shimmer but it looks a bit more coppery than red. They're all very pretty in their own right, but I don't think either the Dior or the OPI are available anymore, whereas Desert Fruit is probably in stock at Llarowe right now.

I also thought of L.A. Girl Intoxicate, which I have compared to Desert Fruit here.



Now, they are quite similar, especially in the shade, but there are a few subtle differences. Intoxicate is darker, and while it didn't really translate well in pictures, it also has a yellow-gold shimmer. Intoxicate's purple base is also a more saturated purple, whereas Desert Fruit is kind of dusty. They're both nice colors, but Desert Fruit has a much better formula. Intoxicate needed 3 coats, and I noticed that the drying time was quite slow.

Have you tried Desert Fruit? Thoughts?

Thanks for looking and commenting, and have a great weekend!