Saturday, April 28, 2012

Essie Brooch the Subject + Shine of the Times

Essie Brooch the Subject was released as a part of Essie's Cocktail Bling collection for Winter 2011, and Shine of the Times is part of the Luxeffects collection released at the same time.


Brooch the Subject is a nude creme. I'm so clueless about nudes that I don't really know how to describe it, haha. This did photograph more yellow than it is IRL though.


It's almost opaque in 2 coats, but there were some uneven patches so it definitely needed the third. Just a note: I took these first two photos before the polish dried completely, and I didn't use any base coat, so there are some visible ridges. They did even out after drying though, as you can see here:


I've never actually tried a nude nail polish before, because I am so clueless about undertones and whatnot. When I decided I wanted a nude creme, I limited myself to just Essie polishes to make the decision a little easier, but still wound up spending several minutes holding different bottles up to the light and trying to figure out whether or not they might work for me. Eventually, I wound up just getting this one because I got too confused, lol. Luckily, I think this works? It doesn't match my skin completely, but it's great for a nice, clean look.

Since I can pretty much never leave cremes alone, I added a thin coat of Essie Shine of the Times. Some of these photos were taken before top coat, so some texture is visible, but it was perfectly smooth afterward.


It's a nice subtle look, but the flakies still show up nicely against the nude base.


There was practically no sun yesterday when I took these, but the sun came out for just a couple of minutes and I was able to take this shot. The flakies don't show up too well in direct sunlight, but on the bright side, I finally got an accurate depiction of the way Brooch the Subject looks against my skintone!


And here's the obligatory shot at an awkward angle to show the color shift:


Thanks for looking, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!