Monday, April 9, 2012

Chanel Peridot

Chanel Peridot was released as part of the Fall 2011 Illusions D'Ombres collection. There were two other polishes released along with it, Quartz and Graphite, but Quartz looks weird and frosty, and Graphite isn't all that interesting to me. Peridot, on the other hand, is AMAZING! I know a lot of people were disappointed with the lack of a clear blue color shift, but that doesn't bother me too much. In the bottle:


The blue is really clear along the edges of the bottle, but you can barely see it on the nail, and only at awkward angles.


You can kiiiiinda see it at the very edges there, but not too well. At an awkward angle:


It's slightly more visible at the edges there, but it's still not prominent at all. Peridot is gold, but it's a really yellow, almost green gold. At first, I declared it ugly and decided that it would turn my hands into lobster claws anyway, so why bother. A few weeks later, I saw it in person and changed my mind completely. This is my only Chanel, but I'm very very happy with it. I know brushstrokes are a pretty big concern, but they weren't an issue for me at all. They showed a little while wet, but it dried quickly and the brushstrokes disappeared almost completely, so now it just looks like metal. In direct sunlight:


Sunlight brings out the green in Peridot, and I usually hate light yellow-greens but this is just awesome. The formula is almost perfect. It took 3 coats, but that's the only flaw. Each coat applied smoothly and dried quickly. I didn't even have to clean up this manicure after painting! I wore it for four days, and got neither chipping nor tipwear. This is Top 20 material. Maybe even Top 10?


So yeah. Peridot is great. It's a shame Chanels are so expensive though. I think Ozotic Pro, Chemistry, Missha, and Peripera have dupes or near-dupes, and OPI has a dupe in their upcoming Spiderman collection, called Just Spotted the Lizard. Based on the promo pics, it looks like we've got a China Glaze dupe on our hands in their New Bohemian collection, but there aren't any swatches or official press releases yet.

Thanks for looking!