Thursday, October 11, 2012

NYC Flat Iron Green

NYC Flat Iron Green is a core color from the In a New York Minute line, which is supposed to be quick-dry. It's a swampy dark green jelly that needs 4 coats for opacity. It does look black sometimes, but it usually reads green. Shown here is 4 coats, plus top coat.


There was no sun to be spoken of that day, so no sunlight pictures. I can, however, tell you that Flat Iron Green leans a bit more yellow/brown in direct sunlight. It's definitely a murky green compared to something like Illamasqua Rampage, or Verity Midnight Green (which I will show you in a few weeks, with comparison photos).

Now, it says QUICK DRY pretty clearly on the bottle up there, right? Yeah, uh, that's not exactly the case here. Maybe it's because Flat Iron Green is a jelly, but I found it to be very slow-drying. Slower than most of my other polishes. Luckily, it doesn't bubble much, but the slow dry time paired with the lack of opacity is kind of a bummer.

I originally bought this to calm my raging lemming for NARS Zulu, back in early 2010, before it was rereleased. I recall reading somewhere that Flat Iron Green and Zulu are dupes, but I'm not sure I think that's actually the case. They're quite similar, but based off of photos I think Zulu is more of a forest green than a swampy green. Nfu Oh 569 and Verity Midnight Green are also similar, but again, more forest-y than swampy. Apparently the formula on most of these colors is...not so good, so my personal suggestion would definitely be to go for one of the cheaper options. Unless you're a big dark green lover like me, you probably don't need many of these.

Thoughts? Feelings? Talk to me about dark greens. What are your favorites?

Thanks for looking and commenting, and have a great Friday & weekend!