Tuesday, October 16, 2012

LA Splash Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide. I'm so mature, but it definitely makes me think of menstruation. Either that, or those toxic red tide blooms that have been causing fish kills. Side note: have any of you read And the Waters Turned to Blood, by Rodney Barker? Dramatic title, but such a fascinating book. And it turns out my former boss was involved in the project that discovered Pfisteria piscicida!

Anyway, back to nail polish. Crimson Tide consists of fine, burnt coppery orange hex glitters suspended in a vampy, bloody red base. I feel like this one's quite good for Halloween, but it's also a lovely color for any time of year. Because of the glitter, it is a bit gritty, but one coat of regular top coat (Revlon Quick Dry in this case) smoothed it out just fine, and it's opaque in 3 coats. LA Splash bottles are awkward to hold, so you get to see my ridge filler instead.


Another side note: OPI Ridge Filler is full of disappointment. But I'm almost out of Essie Fill the Gap, and I can't find anymore. Essie's Ridge Filling Base Coat isn't nearly as good either. BOO. First world problems.

Crimson Tide is a bit streaky, and because the brush stem is SO LONG, make sure you wipe it off really well before you start painting, or you'll wind up with random globs all over your fingers. I may or may not be speaking from experience. But if you wipe it off well, and stick with thin, careful coats, you'll be just fine. Here it is in the sun:


I'm really liking the fact that there are glints of red too, where the glitter is partially obscured by the base. I also like how unique this is, despite the fact that it's a vampy jelly. I haven't seen this jelly/glitter combination anywhere else. At first, I was thinking that they don't even go together, but I think somehow, it works!

Thoughts? Feelings? Do you love vamps as much as I do?

Thanks for looking and commenting, and have a great week!