Thursday, March 29, 2012

China Glaze Sea Spray

Sea Spray was released with the Anchors Away collection, China Glaze's Spring 2011 offering. At the time, I was not too adventurous with my polish choices, and was pretty sure that this type of blue-grey, or any type of grey for that matter, would look terrible on my skintone. I was, however, totally smitten with Sea Spray, and wound up getting it anyway. I don't regret it at all! I love it, despite the slightly odd formula. 2 coats, no top coat, artificial light.


Sea Spray looks surprisingly bright and aqua-toned on me. Based on the swatches I looked at before buying, I was expecting something a lot more grey, but this was a pleasant surprise. It does actually look this blue against my skin, but with a touch less green in most lighting situations.

Now, about that shimmer. It's pretty visible in that first photo, but I've owned this polish for over a year, and have worn it many many times, and this is the first time I am actually seeing the shimmer in person. To me, that's not a bad thing, since I love cremes, but if you're expecting silver shimmer, you will probably be disappointed unless you constantly hold your hands up to a light.

Here it is in the shade:


This photo makes it look a little dustier than it actually is, but it's mostly accurate. Sea Spray takes 2 coats for opacity, which is great, but the formula is simultaneously thick and runny so you have to be careful while applying. I've heard that it is prone to patching and bald spots, but I have not had any issues with that.

Thanks for looking!